Considering that you will be parting with between $400- $1000 for a good surfboard, protecting your stick with a day bag or, its cheaper cousin, the board sock, is a good option.
Below we have reviewed the various surfing board socks available on the market today.
What is a Surfboard Sock?
A surfboard sock is cloth bag that is used to cover a surfboard. It’s called a sock because it is thin and stretches like a sock. It’s typically made of a cotton/poly blend that gives it that stretch. There are also sock that are made of more heavy-duty canvas. Board socks, just like your own sock, do not have padding. Those are day bags or travel bags.
Board socks also have drawstring which prevents the sock from slipping off.
What is it Good For?
A surfboard sock protects the board surface from dirt, sharp edges, and from abrasives. It also protects the wax on the surfing board from waste and also from getting wasted. Generally, it helps to keep the wax free of dirt and provides the board with a little protection.
What Are They Made Of?
Surfboard socks can be made of a blend of acrylic knit, cotton, polyester, and/or canvas and sometimes come with some a padded section for the nose of the board.
Surfboard Sock Reviews
Show your board a little love with a surfboard sock.
Our favorite board sock is the pro-lite sock.
- It is made from stretchable material which ensures that the surfboard is adequately covered in the sock. It also accommodates different sizes of surfboards comfortably.
- The pro-lite sock is thick compared to some of its competitors. This ensures that the surfboard has some protection should the board fall to the ground or knock against sharp edges.
- These surfboard socks are also easy to wash because they are made from dirt resistant material. Rarely will you need to soak the sock to loosen stains making it easy to maintain.
- It has a pull up drawstring that secures the surfing board inside the sock. The drawstring is fastened and loosened easily for maximum ease of use.
- It has an internal wax/ storage pocket
- It has a fin guard that protects the board from fin cuts
- It has a reinforced nose
Expect to pay $63- $65 for this sock.
Dakine Knit Bag Hybrid – Lava Tubes
Our runner is the Dakine Knit Bag Hybrid - Lava Tubes.
- It is a board sock that has been knit with high-quality acrylic knit that protects the board from ultra-violet rays. This also offers protection from fin cuts.
- It has a nose pointed end making a good option for a shortboard.
- It has drawstrings for closing the sock and enhancing the ease of use.
Expect to pay about $45 for this sock.
Other Surfboard Socks
Below are some wonderful surfboard socks that also caught our attention.
Ho Stevie! Surfboard Sock Cover
Look at what this surfboard has to offer.
- Made from stretchable fabric that is easy to slip in and out to protect your board from UV rays and dings.
- The woven fabric prevents wax from running on your clothes and car seat.
- Comes in different sizes: 6'0", 6'6", 7'0", 8'0", 8'6", 9'6" which gives you options to suit your surfboard size. However, go for one that a bit longer so that your board is comfortably tucked and well shielded.
- It comes with a Velcro storage pocket where you can stash your wax or other goodies.
- Has drawstrings to keep your tail covered.
- Has a reinforced nose for extra protection.
Expect to pay $29- $34 for this surfboard sock.
SHORTBOARD AZTEC SOX – CYAN/MAGENTA
The shortboard Aztec Sox – Cyan/Magenta brand of board sock has the ability to hold more items other than the surfboard. Here are some extra goodies that come with it:
- Designed to offer protection from dirt, scratches, sand UV exposure.
- It is light weight and compressible.
- Made with a jersey that is made from woven jacquard material.
- Has a padded nose panel for maximum protection of this delicate part of the board.
- Has drawstring with barrel lock closure.
- Comes with re-usable mesh packaging for storing wax and other essentials.
Expect to part with about $54 for this sock.
FCS Stretch Cover
This board sock was designed as a collaborative effort between world professional surfers and surfboard shapers. It has some features that make it worth a mention:
- It is lightweight and easy to transport.
- Made from durable 600D polyester to offer nose protection.
- It is made with a unique head that can hold both the surfing board and other surfing items.
- It has a high stretching capacity.
Expect to pay about $55 for this surfboard sock.
PAMGEA Surfboard Sock Cover (Pink)
The PAMGEA surfboard sock cover comes with a variety of colors with pink as a favorite of many. The material used to make it is good enough to protect the wax from melting and causing a mess in the car.
- It is lightweight.
- Made from stretchable material.
- Has a padded nose to protect your surfboard from bumps, scratches, and UV rays.
- Has light color to prevent your board from getting too hot.
Expect to pay $28 - $39 for this surfboard sock.
Neolife Surfboard Sock Cover
This surfboard sock from NEOLIFE is designed to be used with shortboards, longboards, as well as hybrids. It has the following wonderful features:
- It is lightweight and durable and protects your surfboard from sunlight.
- Made from knitted elastic fabric which is stretchable to accommodate the size of the surfboard.
- The fabric is thick and soft to protect the surfboard from dings and scratches.
- Has a reinforced nose for maximum protection of this delicate part of your surfboard.
- Has an inner storage pocket for wax and fins.
Expect to pay $32- $ 34 for this surfboard sock.
That’s it. Protect your board. Get a board sock