Skateboard trucks need to be lightweight and durable. It’s a fine balance, but manufacturers have been perfecting it for decades and there are some incredibly light and strong skateboard trucks on the market right now.
With that said, let’s see what the lightest skateboard trucks are and highlight some of the best options.
What is the Lightest Skateboard Truck?
Some of the lightest skateboard trucks we have seen come from a company known as Tensor. In fact, at just 8.15 oz (231 grams) the Tensor Mag Light Lo has the honor of being the lightest trucks around.
Tensor trucks are made from magnesium, as opposed to steel. The result is an incredibly lightweight build that manages to be just as strong, but the downside is that these light trucks are very expensive.
If you’re a pro skater looking for every edge that you can find, light trucks from Tensor might be worth the investment. If not, you can buy cheap lightweight trucks elsewhere.
The Best Lightweight Skateboard Trucks
With the exception of Tensor Trucks, there are lots of other lightweight skateboard trucks to choose from. They are strong and durable, and depending on your budget, they may also be affordable.
Here is a small selection of the best skateboard trucks out there right now.
- Thunder Trucks 140mm Titanium Lights: The Thunder Titanium Lights are some of the best lightweight trucks for heavier riders. Not only are they incredibly strong, but they rival the Tensor trucks when it comes to weight.
- Independent Skateboard Stage 11: Although they are far from the lightest truck on this list, Independent Skateboard Stage 11s are well-made aluminum trucks that you can find on Amazon for around $40 to $50.
- Royal Truck Co. Standard Black: A solid and reliable brand that you’ll often see on Chocolate skateboard decks. These skate trucks are made from aluminum and while they don’t have the best reputation, they are generally much better than many people give them credit for.
- Gullwing Reverse: A great all-round option for the technical skater, the Gullwing Reverse skateboard trucks come with built-in speedrings and a 47-degree baseplate.
- Venture V-Lights: Great trucks made from quality materials and featuring forged baseplates made with a hollow kingpin. Venture trucks are a high-performance brand and can usually be relied upon to provide premium skate trucks.
- Destructo D1: An affordable option that’s worth considering if you need some light skateboard trucks but don’t have a lot of money to spend.
- Theeve Tiax Hollow Raw: The Theeve Tiax Hollow Raw are some of the lightest skateboard trucks on this list, coming in at less than 330 grams. The manufacturers create a unique titanium alloy to ensure that these lightweight trucks were strong and durable despite their weight.
- Independent 139 Forged Hollow Trucks: High-performance hollow trucks that are forged to make them super lightweight and strong.
Are Light Skateboard Trucks Better?
If you’re not carrying a lot of weight, lightweight trucks will make it easier to perform jumps and tricks. They’re ideal for street skating and technical tricks, as they keep the overall weight of the board down without sacrificing durability.
Heavier trucks might be more suitable for skaters who have the strength and size needed to generate a lot of speed. As with anything else, it all comes down to style and preference, and the best trucks for you won’t be the best trucks for the next rider.
What is the Lightest Skateboard Deck?
The Powell-Peralta Flight Deck is one of the lightest on the market. The manufacturer claims that they are stronger and thinner than the average 7-ply and are as “thin as your phone”.
Powell-Peralta Flight Decks are made from an epoxy-infused fiber that is said to be resistant to breaks and fading. However, as you would expect, these decks are more expensive than typical multi-ply options.
Summary: The Lightest and Best Skateboard Trucks
If you’re looking for the lightest skateboard trucks, take a look at Tensor, Independent Trucks, Venture Trucks, and a few other top brands covered above. Just remember that the best skateboard trucks are not the lightest skateboard trucks—if that were true, they’d all be made of cheap and flimsy plastic.
Weight isn’t the only consideration here, so do your research and make sure you buy trucks that will provide you with the experience you’re looking for and will last for years to come.