Netflix is the highest-rated and most popular streaming service in the United States.
It boasts the same popularity in most other countries, as well, and it’s easy to see why.
You can currently watch around 4,000 movies on the platform, along with around 2,000 TV shows.
There are movies to cater to every demographic and spanning most niches, including surf movies.
Surf films are not as plentiful as we would like, but there are still dozens of them out there and a lot of them are available on Netflix right now.
Keep reading for a list of the best surfing movies on Netflix right now.
Table of Contents
Resurface is a documentary film produced by Netflix.
It follows the story of several vets as they use surfing as a means to recover, recuperate, and get through the trauma of a turbulent personal life.
It’s a sad and inspiring documentary, and if you’re looking for a mindless flick that shows some cool surfing tricks, this is definitely not the film for you.
Under an Arctic Sky
Under an Arctic Sky is a modern surf film that follows a gang of surfers (including the photographer Chris Buckard) as they tackle the unforgiving shores of Iceland.
It is a beautifully shot and arranged film and is by far one of the best surf movies on streaming platforms right now.
Fish People is a 2017 surf film directed by Keith Malloy.
It’s not entirely about surfing and is more about the relationship that humans have with the sea (including fishing), but surfing makes an appearance.
Blue Crush is one of the most interesting surf movies on Netflix right now.
It dates back to 2002 and stars Kate Bosworth and Michelle Rodriquez in a drama/romance film based around surfing.
It’s not your average surf film, and if you’re looking for a documentary or a film littered with appearances from pro surfers, you’ll be disappointed.
But if you just want to enjoy a dramatic fictional tale filled with action, intrigue, and lots of surfing footage, it’s perfect!
Bethany Hamilton: Unstoppable
Unstoppable tells the story of Bethany Hamilton, a pro surfer who lost an arm in a shark attack when she was just 13 years old.
She was just a young and promising surfer at the time and while the attack would have ended the careers of many lesser people, it spurred Bethany on and she became a champion surfer.
Unstoppable is an inspirational film that highlights Bethany’s journey from shark attack victim to professional surfer.
Dogtown and Z-Boys
Okay, so Dogtown and Z-Boys is a skateboarding movie and not a surf movie, but it’s also one of the most iconic extreme sports movies ever and when you consider the close links between skateboarding and surfing, it’s worth a watch.
The documentary film showcases footage from the golden age of skateboarding when skaters like Tony Alva would hop fences to surf empty pools in suburban neighborhoods.
It gives you a glimpse into skating culture at the time, and as it was closely linked with surf culture, it’s an enjoyable flick for fans of all board sports.
More Surf Movies
Along with the above surf films, you can also find all of the following titles on Netflix, preparing you for your next surfing-based movie marathon.
- Surfwise: A fascination documentary by Doug Pray. It tells the story of Doc Paskowitz, who decides to pack his life (and his nine children) into a camper van and live life on the road. His journey involves daily surfing and clean living, and it’s a great story for anyone who has ever dreamt of doing the same thing.
- Rip Tide: The surf connection isn’t very strong with this one, but it’s there if you squint and use your imagination.
- Beyond the Break: A series with a strong surfing connection. It follows four girls as they try to become professional surfers and spans a total of 3 seasons.
Surfing Movies on Netflix
Netflix is updating its listing all of the time.
As a result, some of the aforementioned surf movies may not be available in your location at the time of writing.
They might return, though, and if they are not on Netflix, they will usually be available somewhere else.
More About Surfing Movies & Documentaries
- Surfing Movies On Netflix
- Who Played Bethany Hamilton In Soul Surfer
- Andy Irons: Kissed By God Movie Review
- The Worst Shark Movies
- Best Quotes from Surfing Movies
- Charlie Don’t Surf: The Story of The Movie Quote In Apocalypse Now
- Best Surf Movies on Amazon
- Jeff Spicoli: The Surfing Icon of Fast Times at Ridgemont High
- Best Surf Documentaries
- Momentum Generation Review: Surf Culture At Its Best