Yogis in need of a rejuvenating getaway have been flocking to spend their time at yoga retreats all across the country, and even internationally. It’s no secret that these retreats are a big deal, but if you’ve never been to one before, how much should you expect to spend? Some yoga retreats are more cost-effective than others, but they can definitely get expensive once you factor in the instructors, food, lodging, and amenities.
In this article, we will be breaking down everything that goes into putting on a successful yoga retreat as well as what the general costs are.
What is typically included in the price of a yoga retreat?
Yogis on a budget should opt for a retreat that offers meals embedded in the price. That way, you won’t have to fork out extra cash for food. Most yoga retreats will offer a lot of bang for your buck.
You can expect to:
- Experience positive transformations through learning the authentic wisdom of yoga postures, breathing techniques, and meditation that will greatly benefit your mind, body, and soul.
- Adopt a healthier lifestyle. Yoga retreats provide you with the perfect opportunity to dive deeper into the ancient science of yoga and expand your knowledge on the practice. Many yoga retreats also teach you about Ayurveda and healthy eating habits.
- Escape to somewhere beautiful. Relax your mind and body in a beautiful setting while connecting to nature.
- Enjoy healthy meals. Many of the meals served in yoga retreats are healthy, vegetarian choices that are healthy on the body as well as delicious. Sit together with fellow retreat goers while you nourish your body and energize the mind.
- Digital Detox. If you are somewhat addicted to your electronic devices like most 21st century adults, a yoga retreat can give you a chance to temporarily break free from your gadgets and smartphones.
- Make meaningful relationships. Yoga retreats are the perfect place to build friendships and form bonds with the people around you. You will be surrounded by vibrant, like-minded individuals who are also trying to live a healthy, spiritually fulfilling lifestyle.
- Relax and rejuvenate. Many yoga retreat packages include yoga therapy, meditation, Aryuveda classes and so much more for a total rejuvenation of the body, mind and spirit.
- Bring home the skills you need to live a healthy, holistic, yogic lifestyle for as long as you live.
Are there “add-ons” included?
Sometimes, yoga retreat leaders will advertise “yoga and surf” or “yoga and horseback riding” retreats, but these activities are typically in addition to the retreat. Activities such as horseback riding, surfing lessons, and skydiving tend to be expensive.
Be prepared to fork out at least $50 per additional activity, though some retreats will include them in the overall fee.
Are yoga retreat guests expected to tip?
Tipping isn’t a part of the culture in every country, but it certainly is a part of some. If tipping is a custom in the country that you are attending your yoga retreat in, it is a super nice gesture to tip the staff of your retreat center, especially if they do an exceptional job at making you feel comfortable.
If you are visiting a yoga retreat in Central America, South America, or Asia, keep in mind that your cleaning lady, waiter, and front desk attendant probably only make between 80 cents to $3 USD per hour. A $10 tip can go a long way: perhaps a new pair of shoes for a loved one, medicine for a family member, or a mechanic fee for a bike.
How much is the flight going to cost?
When shopping around for the perfect yoga retreat, you’ll often notice that the retreat will be set at an affordable price, but the flight will be more expensive. Of course, this is dependent on how far away you are from the yoga retreat destination and how far in advance you are able to buy your ticket and so on.
If you are on a budget, consider finding a yoga retreat that is close in proximity to where you live so that transportation won’t be so expensive. If you do plan to travel far to get to your yoga retreat, try to plan your trip as far in advance as possible as plane tickets are usually cheaper if you buy them ahead of time.
Will I need to purchase special gear?
Some yoga retreats will include activities such as hiking or surfing. In these cases, you will need to bring the proper attire to take on these outdoor extras. Make sure to bring hiking boots or rainproof clothing if your retreat leader is taking you on a hike. If you are going surfing during your stay, be sure to bring bathing suits that are most suitable for surfing and won’t fall off in the waves.
Make a list of all the wardrobe items or tools that you will need in order to be comfortable during your yoga retreat before you book the trip. Then, take note of how many of those items you already have. This will help keep costs to a minimum so that you aren’t spending money on things you don’t need.
How much wiggle room should I account for?
Fun money should most definitely be factored into your yoga retreat budget. You might want to go out for drinks, purchase souvenirs, or take a taxi to get somewhere on your free time. You may need to eat or drink or purchase something from the airport. It’s always important to plan for a little wiggle room. A common suggestion for “fun money” during a yoga retreat is anywhere from $150-$200 depending on how much you like to spend.
Retreats are an incredibly beautiful and soul-fulfilling experience. You will be surrounded by lovely people who have common interests and you will most likely bond and make friendships for life. You will try new things and be inspired by the beauty all around you and the wisdom you will learn.
Some retreats start at $500 but can cost all the way up to $3000 depending on the level of luxury, amenities that are included, and the activities involved.
No matter what your retreat style is, there is a yoga retreat out there to fit everyone’s styles, needs, and budgets. All it takes is a little shopping around.