Skateboarding is not an expensive sport. You can get started for less than $50, and unlike many other sports, spending such a small amount of money doesn't mean that you'll be forced to make do with budget equipment that simply can't compare to what the pros use. It's more than enough for you to pull a few tricks and see if the sport is right for you.
How Much Does a Good Skateboard Cost?
A high-quality professional skateboard could cost you several hundred bucks. But if you're a beginner, there's no need to spend so much cash and you can get a decent board for less than $50.
As with anything else, it all comes down to the brand, the quality, and the accessories. The type of board that you buy will also impact the price, but if you're a beginner, you needn't worry yourself with any of the finer details and should just focus on getting something that feels right and is within your budget.
How Much Should You Spend on Your First Skateboard?
You should look to spend between $30 and $100 for your first board. It's enough to get a decent board without blowing your budget and getting something that is above your skill level.
Although there are many types of skateboard, the ones you need to focus on are often labeled simply as "beginner skateboards". It won't be the strongest board or the easiest to ride, but you can still choose from a variety of styles and designs, so you'll be able to find something that suits you.
It's important to find something that feels right and something that you like the look of. You will also need to leave some room in your budget for wrist guards, helmets, elbow pads, and knee pads. You're going to be falling a lot, so it's good to have the extra protection.
Can You Make Your Own?
You can make your own skateboard, but it's not advised for inexperienced skaters. It also might not save you as much as you think. Generally, it is the cheaper option, but only if you're buying a high-quality board. When you're opting for the most basic board, it's best to buy a complete skateboard and leave the manufacturing to someone else.
If you do make it yourself, you will need to think about all of the following options, which can be purchased from online and offline skate shops:
- Skateboard Deck: A skateboard deck is a wooden board on which you stand. It's the biggest part of the board and if you're focusing on aesthetics, it's also the most important. Depending on the quality, you could pay up to $100 for a good deck. You can also buy a simple one and design it yourself.
- Wheels: The wheels are another essential part that can vary in quality, and you'll pay up to $50 for a good set.
- Trucks: The skateboard trucks are the metal bits that attach underneath your board. They typically cost around $20 to $70.
- Grip Tape: An inexpensive feature that you can pick up for just $10 or so.
- Bearing: The bearings help to reduce friction and get the board moving. This is when it really pays to build your own, as budget boards often cut costs on this aspect of the board. Bearings could cost anywhere from just a few bucks to $100.
With the aforementioned in mind, a complete skateboard could cost anywhere from $100 to $300 or so. You will also have a little more freedom with regards to customization, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth all of the hassle. After all, if you're an inexperienced skater then you're not going to find it easy putting all of these pieces together.
Summary: How Much Does a Good Skateboard Cost?
One of the reasons that skateboarding has proved so popular with so many generations is that you don't need a sizeable budget to get started. With surfing, you need to drop several hundred bucks on a board and a wetsuit. With ice hockey, you need to think about skates, a stick, a puck, and a little padding. And if you ever want to get involved with motor racing, you better have a few grand burning a hole in your bank account.
With skateboarding, however, it could cost you less than $50 to get started. It's less than early-2000s kids spent on a copy of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater! Of course, if you want to stay safe and protected, then you should consider some safety equipment as well, but even then, it's not a lot of money to get involved with a brand new sport.