For many, camping is a wonderful way to relax and wind down after a stressful time at work. Being in nature, breathing fresh air, and listening to the crackling of a campfire at night is difficult to beat in terms of relaxation. However, those who don’t enjoy camping or have not done it before might think camping is boring. They might wonder what to do when camping.
There are many things to do when camping. Part of the fun is choosing a campsite and preparing for the trip. Then, you must set up camp and ensure everything is ready for the stay. Finally, you can enjoy fun activities such as fishing, swimming, or roasting marshmallows.
Before heading out to go camping, you must first reserve a camping spot and prepare for the trip. This article will discuss how to prepare for a camping trip, what to do when you arrive at your camping spot, and what to do for fun while camping.
What To Do When Camping – Preparation
When you first decide to go camping, there are many things you must prepare. First, you must decide what type of camping you would like. For example, do you prefer glamping, traditional camping, or primitive camping? These different types of camping require various equipment and preparation.
Next, you must choose a location. There are many magnificent camping spots all around the world. Some people have their favorite spots to which they return time after time, while others prefer to visit a new place with each camping trip.
Regardless of whether you are revisiting an old campsite or trying a new one, you must reserve a camp spot if it is required. Not all campgrounds require reservations, and some might also require you to have a camping permit. Be sure to phone the campsite where you would like to go to ask what preparations are necessary.
What exactly to pack for a camping trip differs from person to person. It also depends on where you are going, how long you will be staying, and what type of camping you are doing. For traditional camping, this is usually what you will need to take:
- Tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag. If you have space for a proper pillow, remember to pack one. It will make your nights much more comfortable.
- Flashlights and batteries. You might also have to take a power bank to charge your devices.
- Bug repellant spray and sunscreen.
- Toiletries and a towel. While some campsites provide toilet paper, it is always best to bring some in case there is none.
- Warm clothes and a swimming costume. Regardless of the weather, bring warm clothes in case of cold weather and a swimming costume if you wish to go for a dip.
- Food and water. Some campsites have drinkable water available. Enquire about this when you phone the campgrounds and bring water if they don’t have clean, running water. Depending on your situation, you can either pack fresh food and store it or pack dehydrated food and add boiling water.
- First-aid kit. Regardless of where you go camping, a first-aid kit is always necessary. Include things like band-aids, pain medication, burn shield, and antihistamines in your camping first-aid kit.
- Board games, books, or things to do for entertainment. We will discuss what fun things you can do while camping later in this article.
Once you have all the documents and the preparations have been made, and your things are packed, you are ready to head to your camp spot! However, once you arrive at the campsite, there are certain things you must do to make your stay more comfortable.
What To Do When Camping – Setup
When you arrive at your chosen campgrounds, it might be tempting to immediately start with the fun things, such as fishing or going to the beach. However, the first thing you should do when arriving is to set up your campsite. If you do this first, you will have more time for fun later and won’t have to set up camp when tired and hungry.
It is also recommended that you arrive at your campsite early enough to set up the camp while still light. Doing so after dark is more complex and time-consuming. Here are the steps to take when you arrive at your campsite:
1. Find Your Campsite And Bathroom
When arriving at the campsite, the first thing you should do is find your allocated spot if you are assigned one. If not, you can simply look around until you find the perfect place to set up camp. Also look around and locate your nearest bathroom and water source. If there is electricity at your campsite, you might want to be close to one of the plugs as well.
2. Pitch Your Tent And Other Structures
The next thing you must do is to pitch your tent and other structures, such as gazebos and camping tables if you brought any. If you use a gas stove for cooking food, you must also prepare this. Setting up the entire campsite when you first arrive will help you settle in much faster.
3. Unload Everything From Your Truck
Finally, before the fun can begin, you must unload all the baggage from your truck and put them in the right spots. Make your bed and roll out your sleeping bag. Set up your camping chairs and put the wood by the fireplace. The truck must always be ready to leave as soon as possible in case of an emergency.
You must also place any emergency equipment and headlights or torches in an easily accessible location. Once your campsite is ready, you can now start to have fun and enjoy your camping trip.
What To Do When Camping – Activities
Camping might seem like a boring thing to do for those who haven’t been camping. They might think that you are only sitting by a fireplace and talking with each other. However, you can do many fun things when camping, depending on where you are. Here are some fun ideas for your next camping trip:
- Roast marshmallows or make stick-bread.
- Go on an off-roading trip near your campsite.
- Go swimming in the river, ocean, or lake.
- Go on a hike and explore the environment.
- Play card games or board games.
- Play softball, volleyball, or touch football.
- Watch the sunset and the stars at nighttime.
- Learn to build a fire.
- Read a good book.
- Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Trail Running
These are merely some things people enjoy doing when they go camping. However, you can do whatever you like, as long as it is within the campsite’s rules. Remember to be mindful of the environment and don’t litter or leave any traces of your visit.
There are many things to do when camping. First, you must plan where you want to go camping and what to pack when camping. Then, you must set up your campsite and unload the truck. Finally, you can do many fun things, such as swimming and building a fire, when on a camping trip. If you have not been camping before, rest assured, you will not be bored.